Sunday, February 3, 2013

Do-It-Yourself Washi Tape!

This week for Claire's Monday Morning Make at Waltzingmouse Stamps, she challenged us to make our own Washi tape using tissue paper, stamps, and double-sided tape.  Her tutorial can be seen HERE.   It was SO much fun that I commented on her blog that she has turned me into a certified Washi-making monster!  It is easy and addicting!

I was all excited to sit down and complete the challenge.  I got out some wide Scor-Tape and then searched the house for white tissue paper, only to came up empty handed.  All I had was some fluorescent colors (scream!!)...lime, orange, hot pink.  So out of my color zone!

I settled on some lime green and ended up loving the result!  Of course you know which stamp set I picked first!  I stamped Gingham & Co. and  decided that I was going with a scene theme.  My green Washi was perfect for the grass...


My nephew and niece-in-law just had a new baby 2 weeks ago named Hudson!  My 5th great-niece/nephew!  So I made this card with him in mind using the sweet chick and sentiment from L'il Buddies.  I decided to make a sun for the corner and used the heart circle from the set to make the rays :)


I stamped the gingham using Evergreen ink on the lime tissue...but on the dotted pieces I used a turquoise blue ink called "Pool" and it changed the whole color of the tissue but made the dots show through lime!  I also made some hot pink washi tape but I think I am going to save it a bit for an upcoming Valentine's Day card.

You still have time to upload your own DIY Washi project HERE on Claire's blog.  The Mr. Linky set will close tomorrow (Monday) at 6:00 AM EST.  While you are there, check out the THIS theme for the monthly blog party which will be taking place on February 17th!

Supplies:
Stamps:  Gingham & Co. and L'il Buddies, Waltzingmouse Stamps
Paper:  PTI White and Aqua Mist, lime green tissue paper
Ink:  A Muse Studio Evergreen, Fresh Ink in Pool and Mango, Memento Tuxedo Black
Other:  Spellbinders Petite Scallops Nestabilities, Stampendous Crystal Snow glitter, Scor-Tape, button, twine, PTI Cloud die, Cuttlebug Swiss Dot embossing folder

10 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Kelly your card is just fabulous, love the chick and your washi tape is amazing!

Cathy Weber said...

Love the green colors Kelly! Perfect for a sweet baby boy and I love the glittery egg and that great idea for the sun with the hearts around it. Very smart!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so CUTE!!!!!

Joyce said...

What a sweet baby card. I love the washi tape you made.

Carola said...

Kelly, this is a lovely card. I think the sweet chick is just perfect for a baby card. The green Washi tapes look beautiful behind the chick and I like the colors.

Kind regards
Carola

Vickie Z said...

Oh...this is adorable! Grass is perfect for the washi and love the heart sun!! Honestly, I didn't realize how easy it was to make, that Claire is so clever!! You are so young to have 5 great-niece/nephews especially ones having babies, they'll love this card!

Deborah Frings said...

This is just brilliant. I adore the sunshine hearts, the Washi grass and your sweet chick!

Pauline said...

Aww, so sweet! Love that sweet little chickie and the fun washi tape grass, gorgeous and fresh.

Sharron said...

Oh, you used two of my favorite WM sets and in such a fun way! Love the chick in the glittery egg and the wonderful sun image. I would never have thought of using that stamp that way. Great washi patterns too-love the bright greens!

Christina said...

Super adorable! There's that glitter again, and the washi "grass" is fantastic and fun!